Jerry Colonna is the CEO and Co-Founder of reboot.io, an executive coaching and leadership development firm dedicated to the notion that better humans make better leaders. After many years as a partner and founder of private equity firms, Jerry has spent the last 20 years using the knowledge gained as an investor, an executive, and a board member for more than 100 organizations, to help entrepreneurs and others to lead with humanity, resilience, and equanimity to overcome the psychological baggage that has held them back professionally. In his new book 'reboot, leadership and the art of growing up', Jerry captures his unique blend of Buddhism, Jungian therapy and entrepreneurial insight.
In this week’s episode, we explore why better humans make better leaders, and what we can do practically to improve our leadership and resilience skills as we work.
Connect with Jerry Colonna:
- [02:37] - Jerry explains why better humans make better leaders.
- [04:01] - Jerry shares why so many leaders struggle to prioritize becoming better human beings.
- [05:19] - Jerry outlines why we tend to be fixated on outcomes in workplaces, even when this approach often burns us out.
- [07:51] - Jerry explains the simple steps we can take to become more effective and resilient leaders who don’t burn ourselves out.
- [09:59] - Jerry offers some questions to help us create a sense of wellbeing and discover the kind of leaders we are capable of being.
- [11:28] - Jerry explains how our stories about our past, present, and future shape our belief systems and the outcomes we’re able to achieve.
- [15:31] - Jerry offers some tips to help leaders challenge the stories that undermine their resilience and effectiveness as leaders.
- [17:54] - Jerry explains how our willingness to be better humans helps us to build more psychological safety in our workplaces.
- [21:26] - Jerry explains how why becoming a better human being is an ongoing process and how we can navigate it gracefully.
- [23:41] - Jerry shares his formula for enhancing leadership and building greater resiliency.
- [27:39] - Jerry completes the Lightning Round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
You can also listen to all the episodes of Making Positive Psychology Work streamed directly to your smartphone or iPad through stitcher. No need for downloading or syncing.
Until next time, take care! Thank you Jerry!